Omar supports Trivedi on hike in rail fares
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who supported the hike in railway fares, on Thursday said he would not mind being sacked for doing the right thing.
"If I had to be sacked, I`d rather be sacked for doing the right thing," he wrote on micro-blogging site twitter in reference to demand for removal of Railway Minister Dinesh
Trivedi by his own party Trinamool Congress.
Omar is among the very few politicians who have supported the hike in train fares proposed by Trivedi in his maiden Railway Budget tabled in the Lok Sabha yesterday.
"We take populism to ridiculous levels. I genuinely believe people would happily accept the modest hike if safety and quality of service are better," the NC leader said.
"Populism will destroy the Indian railways. Then where will the `aam aadmi` go?" he asked.
Omar had words of sympathy for Trivedi, wishing him well in whatever he does.
"Whatever Dinesh bhai does, I wish him well. He`s a good and decent person and we shared some laughs at the Kolkata book fair recently," he tweeted.
Omar also said Trivedi will be remembered for a long time due to turn of events following presentation of the Railway Budget by him.
"Long after other railway ministers are forgotten Dinesh Trivedi will still be an answer to a general knowledge or entrance test question," he said.
Angered by Trivedi`s proposal contained in the Railway Budget, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee had written to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last night seeking his
removal and replacement with Minister of State for Shipping Mukul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka