Rains lash parts of north India, force suspension of Kedarnath yatra
New Delhi: Rains lashed many areas of north India including hilly state of Uttarakhand, where authorities suspended pilgrimage to Kedarnath, even as Delhi experienced another hot and humid day in the absence of monsoon on Wednesday.
The yatra to Kedarnath has been suspended for three days in view of the MeT department warning of heavy rains and frequent blockage of roads and the 21-km trekking route from Sonprayag to Kedarnath due to intermittent showers in the valley over the past few days.
"Yatra to Kedarnath has been suspended for safety reasons till July 18...," Rudraprayag District Magistrate Raghav Langar said. However, yatra to three other Himalayan shrines - Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri - continued though on a low key due to inclement weather condition.
All the major rivers and their tributaries including the Alaknanda, Ganga, Mandakini and Bhagirathi are steadily on the rise with rains lashing most parts of the state.
Light to moderate rain/thunderstorm may occur at?many places in the state while rather heavy rainfall could occur in Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Pithoragarh and Rudraprayag districts tonight, Dehradun MeT director Anand Sharma said.
Meanwhile, Delhiites experienced another hot and humid day as monsoon rains continued to elude the national capital for the third day in a row. The maximum temperature settled at 37.4 degrees Celsius, three notches above normal, while the minimum stood at 27.9 degrees.
According to MeT officials though the day temperatures dropped to below the 40 degrees Celsius mark following Sunday afternoon`s rains, it still remains substantially above normal. What is worse is that humidity, which oscillated between 58 and 82 per cent during the day, has remained on the higher side since then.
Although the MeT department had predicted rains and thunderstorms in Delhi today, no rainfall was reported till early evening.
Rains, however, lashed parts of Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo