SAARC Election Commissioners endorse use of EVMs
Alappuzha: Election Commissioners of
SAARC nations on Sunday emphasised the need to use Electronic
Voting Machines in all South Asian nations in view of its
success in India.
Chief Election Commissioner of India SY Qureshi and
Director General (IT) of Pakistan`s Election Commission,
Muhammad Khizer Aziz, were among those who participated in a
three-day workshop here.
The Second Informal Cambridge Workshop of Election
Commissioners of South Asia was organised by Malaysian
Commonwealth Studies Centre, Cambridge Malaysian Education and
Development Trust and Foundation for Advanced Management of
Briefing reporters on the workshop deliberations, Anil
Seal, Director, Malaysian Commonwealth Studies Centre, said
the use of EVMs would ensure conduct of free and fair
elections as had been successfully proved by India.
The workshop felt that the "paid news" issue was a
problem in most of the south Asian countries and the Election
Commissions should take firm steps to curb the menace.
On the debate over the right to recall the elected
representative, Quraishi said the issue did not come up for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?