SAARC Election Commissioners endorse use of EVMs
Alappuzha: Election Commissioners of
SAARC nations on Sunday emphasised the need to use Electronic
Voting Machines in all South Asian nations in view of its
success in India.
Chief Election Commissioner of India SY Qureshi and
Director General (IT) of Pakistan`s Election Commission,
Muhammad Khizer Aziz, were among those who participated in a
three-day workshop here.
The Second Informal Cambridge Workshop of Election
Commissioners of South Asia was organised by Malaysian
Commonwealth Studies Centre, Cambridge Malaysian Education and
Development Trust and Foundation for Advanced Management of
Briefing reporters on the workshop deliberations, Anil
Seal, Director, Malaysian Commonwealth Studies Centre, said
the use of EVMs would ensure conduct of free and fair
elections as had been successfully proved by India.
The workshop felt that the "paid news" issue was a
problem in most of the south Asian countries and the Election
Commissions should take firm steps to curb the menace.
On the debate over the right to recall the elected
representative, Quraishi said the issue did not come up for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family