SAARC Election Commissioners endorse use of EVMs
Alappuzha: Election Commissioners of
SAARC nations on Sunday emphasised the need to use Electronic
Voting Machines in all South Asian nations in view of its
success in India.
Chief Election Commissioner of India SY Qureshi and
Director General (IT) of Pakistan`s Election Commission,
Muhammad Khizer Aziz, were among those who participated in a
three-day workshop here.
The Second Informal Cambridge Workshop of Election
Commissioners of South Asia was organised by Malaysian
Commonwealth Studies Centre, Cambridge Malaysian Education and
Development Trust and Foundation for Advanced Management of
Briefing reporters on the workshop deliberations, Anil
Seal, Director, Malaysian Commonwealth Studies Centre, said
the use of EVMs would ensure conduct of free and fair
elections as had been successfully proved by India.
The workshop felt that the "paid news" issue was a
problem in most of the south Asian countries and the Election
Commissions should take firm steps to curb the menace.
On the debate over the right to recall the elected
representative, Quraishi said the issue did not come up for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP