SAARC Election Commissioners endorse use of EVMs
Alappuzha: Election Commissioners of
SAARC nations on Sunday emphasised the need to use Electronic
Voting Machines in all South Asian nations in view of its
success in India.
Chief Election Commissioner of India SY Qureshi and
Director General (IT) of Pakistan`s Election Commission,
Muhammad Khizer Aziz, were among those who participated in a
three-day workshop here.
The Second Informal Cambridge Workshop of Election
Commissioners of South Asia was organised by Malaysian
Commonwealth Studies Centre, Cambridge Malaysian Education and
Development Trust and Foundation for Advanced Management of
Briefing reporters on the workshop deliberations, Anil
Seal, Director, Malaysian Commonwealth Studies Centre, said
the use of EVMs would ensure conduct of free and fair
elections as had been successfully proved by India.
The workshop felt that the "paid news" issue was a
problem in most of the south Asian countries and the Election
Commissions should take firm steps to curb the menace.
On the debate over the right to recall the elected
representative, Quraishi said the issue did not come up for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players