Sonia Gandhi wants maximum presence of Congress MPs in monsoon session
New Delhi: With a number of important bills including Food Security ordinance on the agenda of Parliament, Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Monday asked party managers to ensure the presence of maximum MPs of the party in the House.
Gandhi conveyed this to the party whips in the Lok Sabha during a brief meeting today, the opening day of the monsoon session of Parliament.
She told the whips that their job is particularly important at times when even ministers are not present in the House, party sources said.
Gandhi said this when party spokesman Sandip Dikshit, who has been elevated to be the Chief Whip of the party in the lower House, met her along with colleagues.
Madhu Goud Yakshi, who represents Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh, has been made the Deputy Chief Whip.
The new whips are Ijayraj Singh from Rajasthan, R Dhruvnarayan from Karnataka and Ravneet Singh Bittoo from Punjab.
Earlier Girija Vyas was the Chief Whip and Rani Narah and Sandip Dikshit were Deputy Chief Whips. Vyas and Narah have been made ministers recently.
Meanwhile, the ordinance on the Food Security bill, which is being projected as the "most important" legislation in the session by the ruling party, is expected to brought up for consideration on Wednesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed