Surveillance along LoC increased: Army
Srinagar: Army on Thursday said surveillance grid
along the LoC has been strengthened to counter a possible
spurt in infiltration of militants from Pakistan-occupied
Kashmir ahead of winter snowfall in the Valley.
"The surveillance grid has been strengthened to foil any
attempt by militants to cross over to this side," General
Officer Commanding of Srinagar-based 15 Corps Lieutenant
General Syed Ata Hasnain told reporters in north Kashmir`s
Kupwara district, 100 km from here.
He, however, warned that next few weeks might see an
increase in attempts by militants to infiltrate before
mountain passes get closed with the onset of winter.
Gen Hasnain said numerous attempts were made by militants
to sneak into the Valley from across the LoC this year but
these have been foiled by the alert troops.
Army this summer intercepted several major infiltrating
groups of militants in north Kashmir including the one in
which 12 militants were killed while crossing a river into
Gurez sector of Bandipora district.
Meanwhile, Northern Command Chief Lt Gen K T Parnaik
today undertook a detailed tour of the mountainous district
of Kishtwar and reviewed the security situation.
The GOC-in-C visited various militancy-hit areas of the
district and the forward location of a Rashtriya Rifles
Battalion at Navpachchi, which is the highest and the remotest
area within the area of Delta Force.
He also interacted with the troops and asked them to
continue their relentless hard work to counter the terrorists`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire