Varsities should play key role in promoting innovation: Patil
Agartala: President Pratibha Patil on Saturday
said the Universities should play a key role in promoting
innovation and scientific research of international standards.
"The aim has to be research and innovation that is of
international standards. Efforts should also be made to
democratise innovation by tapping into innovative ideas at the
grassroots of society," Patil said here during the eight
convocation ceremony of the Agartala University.
She also asked the Central government to facilitate the
study and research of ways and methods to promote inclusion of
the socially marginalised sections in mainstream activity.
The President, who received a huge reception during her
visit to the University, said she was "touched" with the
kind of reception she received from the people of Tripura.
Hundreds of people from all ages had lined up along the
seven-kilometer stretch from Raj Bhavan to the University to
get a glimpse of the President where she came to attend the
Meanwhile, Tripura Governor D Y Patil, after completing
his written speech on the occasion, went on to describe the
relations he shared with the President and her husband and
the bonhomie between the couple.
"It is my honour that Mr Devi Singh Shekhawat is
here...Behind every successful man there is a woman but here
it is Mr Shekhawat. Both of them have sacrificed a lot for
each other...I am Governor today because of them," he said.
Padma Shree Dnyandeo Yashwantrao Patil became the
Governor of Tripura last year. He is known to have founded a
large number of educational institutes in Maharashtra ranging
from schools to engineering colleges.
After the ceremony the President returned back from her
five day trip to West Bengal, Mizoram and Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video