Computers with deadly virus to lose web link: FBI
London: Internet users across the world have been warned by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) that if they have the "Alureon/DNS Changer bot" virus on their computers, they will lose their internet connections July 9.
The virus "spoofs" popular websites in an attempt to steal personal information, a newspaper reported.
The software found its way into thousands of computers worldwide last year. It redirect users away from trusted websites, towards spoof websites in a bid to steal financial and personal information.
When the attack was noticed, the FBI routed infected machines through its server to stop the attacks.
But the servers will be taken down July 9. When this happens, computers still infected are likely to lose their internet connection without warning.
Warnings about the problem have been splashed across Facebook and Google, and the FBI has set up a special website.
The number of computers infected is more than 277,000 worldwide. The number was 360,000 in April. Of those still infected, the FBI believes that about 64,000 are in the US.
Users still infected will have to call their service providers for deleting the malware and reconnecting to the internet.
Last year, when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of more than 570,000 infected computers around the world, the FBI agents realised that if they turned off the malicious servers being used to control the computers, all the victims would lose their internet service.
The FBI then installed two clean internet servers to take over instead of the malicious servers so that people would not suddenly lose internet.
But that temporary system will be shut down July 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister