Facebook introduces `custom gender options` for self identification
Washington: Facebook has reportedly announced that its U.S. users will now have the "other" option to select a custom gender for their Timeline profiles.
Following Facebook`s announcement, users will be able to choose from ten gender options such as " cisgender," " transgender," and "intersex," apart from existing Male and Female.
The new setting would also let the users define which pronoun they`d like to be referred to as he / his, she / her, or they / their, the Verge reported.
Facebook said that it recognized that some people faced challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting will give people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way, adding that the social network worked closely with LGBT activist groups to choose the new profile options.
Meanwhile, the popular networking site is yet to announce as to when the new settings will be made available to users outside the U.S.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves