New smart contact lens crammed with Google Glass-like tech
Washington: Researchers have created a Google Glass-like device on a contact lens.
According to Technology Review, the team developed a "transparent, highly conductive, and stretchy mix of graphene and silver nanowires" that it then attached to an off-the-shelf soft contact lens to give it Google Glass-like features.
The lenses were tested on rabbits because of similarities with the human eye and were found to be fully functional.
The researchers noted that the rabbits didn`t attempt to rub their eyes nor did they grow bloodshot after five hours of testing.
"Our goal is to make a wearable contact-lens display that can do all the things Google Glass can do," research leader Jang-Ung Park, a chemical engineer at the Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, said.
True smart contacts with heads-up displays are still quite a few years out, however - the "display" on the tested lens was only one pixel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday