PM grants Rs 5 cr to augment scholarship prog in Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday announced a grant of five crore rupees to augment the Indian scholarship fund for ethnic Indians in Malaysia.
Dr Singh, who is in Malaysia on a state visit, made the announcement while addressing the Indian community here.
The fund was set up in 1946 by former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru to assist Malaysian-Indian students. With the new grant, the corpus of the fund will be 7.55 crore rupees.
Malaysian-Indians had requested Indian government to allot some quota for their students.
Singh also announced 20 scholarships for Malaysian students to study traditional system of medicine in India.
Muslim-majority Malaysia`s 27 million people are 25 percent ethnic Chinese and eight per cent ethnic Indians, who are mostly Hindus from Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday