Quake damages four monasteries in Sikkim
Gangtok: Four monasteries including the
Pemayangste and Tashiding, were badly damaged in Sunday`s
earthquake in Sikkim, official sources said on Tuesday.
Pemayangtse monastery, built in 1705 near the tourist
town of Pelling in West Sikkim district, was extensively
damaged under the impact of the quake, the sources said.
So was the case with Tashiding monastery, founded in
1641 and renovated in 1717 in West Sikkim district during the
reign of the third Chogyal Chakdor Namgyal.
Damage was also caused to Enchey monastery established in
1909 in Gangtok. Ringhem Monastery above Mangan in North
Sikkim developed cracks, the sources said.
All the four monasteries belong to the Nyingma sect of
The government has intimated other religious
institutions to inform about their status after the quake so
that comprehensive measures can be taken to repair all of
them, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends