Quake damages four monasteries in Sikkim
Gangtok: Four monasteries including the
Pemayangste and Tashiding, were badly damaged in Sunday`s
earthquake in Sikkim, official sources said on Tuesday.
Pemayangtse monastery, built in 1705 near the tourist
town of Pelling in West Sikkim district, was extensively
damaged under the impact of the quake, the sources said.
So was the case with Tashiding monastery, founded in
1641 and renovated in 1717 in West Sikkim district during the
reign of the third Chogyal Chakdor Namgyal.
Damage was also caused to Enchey monastery established in
1909 in Gangtok. Ringhem Monastery above Mangan in North
Sikkim developed cracks, the sources said.
All the four monasteries belong to the Nyingma sect of
The government has intimated other religious
institutions to inform about their status after the quake so
that comprehensive measures can be taken to repair all of
them, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`