Two kidnapped train drivers rescued in Sonitpur
Tezpur: Two train drivers of North-East
Frontier Railway, kidnapped by militants of NDFB (anti-talk
faction) a month ago, were rescued by police on Friday from north
Assam`s Sonitpur district.
The two drivers were rescued from a remote place five km
away from Hugrajuli under Dhekiajuli police station,
Additional Superintendent of Police P K Nath, who led the
rescue operation, said.
The two were in good health and they claimed their
kidnappers did not torture them, Nath said.
The clue to the location of the place where the two were
kept in hiding was provided by a National Democratic Front of
Bodoland (NDFB) militant Gendha Basumatary alias Brisat
Basumatary, who was nabbed by army intelligence and handed
over to the police today.
The two drivers, Ajit Chiring Phukan and Nirmal Chandra
Buragohain, were abducted near Bhalukpung in the district
bordering Arunachal Pradesh on August 29.
A group of armed NDFB militants had stopped the
Bhalukpung Passenger at a place between Gamani and Bhalukpung
railway stations and taken them away.
Two other railway employees -- a guard and a clerk --
taken away with the train drivers to a nearby jungle, were,
however, later let off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city