Won`t tolerate crime against women: Arunachal CM
Itanagar: Joining the nation in expressing his outrage over the gang-rape of a girl in Delhi, Arunachal Pradesh CM Nabam Tuki has said her subsequent death prompted the country to deliver the message loud and clear that any type of crime against women will not be tolerated.
Recalling how he felt disturbed on hearing about her death, the Chief Minister said yesterday "I again felt these crimes are a fallout of deviant youths having lost all moral values."
"While as part of the government we reiterate our commitment to exercise zero-tolerance towards any type of crime against women in Arunachal, I also feel it is high time we, parents, ensure that our boys learn respecting women from a very early age and treat them as equals," he said.
Tuki, who was addressing a gathering here at Nyokum Lapang on the occasion of Indigenous Faiths Day, said that if youth continued to drift away there would be a day when we would completely lose the state`s rich culture of indigenous tribes.
"If we lose our identity, we will cease to exist," he added.
The CM also lauded the Indigenous Faith & Cultural Society of Arunachal Pradesh (IFCSAP) for its effort to preserve and propagate indigenous faiths.
On being informed that IFCSAP was facing difficulties in functioning due to lack of resources, Tuki assured to enhance the corpus fund of Rs 5 crore to Rs 10 crore during next financial year.
Meanwhile, as suggested by Tuki, IFCSAP President and noted writer Y D Thongchi announced that from next year the Indigenous Faiths Day would be celebrated across the state on December 1 commemorating the birth anniversary of Late Talom Rukbo, pioneer of the Indigenous Faith movement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference