70 houses gutted in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Over 70 thatched houses were reduced to ashes when a major fire swept through Anduli-Basaghar village under Mahakalpada police station jurisdiction during noon hours on Wednesday.
The loss of property in the blaze is estimated at over Rs 50 lakh, fire personnel said.
The people who have lost their houses and properties belonged to dalits and BPL families.
The fire erupted in the corner of a house and engulfed in no time, Inspector Mahakalpada police station, Padarabinda Tripathy said.
Many were seen desperately trying to douse the fire and retrieve their belongings from the ruins.
Paddy bags, televisions, refrigerators, chairs, tables, brass and aluminum utensils, gold and silver ornaments and many valuables were gutted in the fire, said eyewitnesses.
Fire brigades from Kendrapara rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control after an hour`s frantic efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1