70 houses gutted in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Over 70 thatched houses were reduced to ashes when a major fire swept through Anduli-Basaghar village under Mahakalpada police station jurisdiction during noon hours on Wednesday.
The loss of property in the blaze is estimated at over Rs 50 lakh, fire personnel said.
The people who have lost their houses and properties belonged to dalits and BPL families.
The fire erupted in the corner of a house and engulfed in no time, Inspector Mahakalpada police station, Padarabinda Tripathy said.
Many were seen desperately trying to douse the fire and retrieve their belongings from the ruins.
Paddy bags, televisions, refrigerators, chairs, tables, brass and aluminum utensils, gold and silver ornaments and many valuables were gutted in the fire, said eyewitnesses.
Fire brigades from Kendrapara rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control after an hour`s frantic efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Telangana, Maharashtra sign agreement on Godavari projects
- Assam: Efforts on to secure release of abducted son of BJP leader
- YuppTV bags broadcast rights for India vs West Indies T20Is in Florida
- STOP THIS SHAME! 8-year-old girl sleeping outside house, abducted, gangraped by neighbours in Delhi
- DISGUSTING! Man booked after objectionable post against Sakshi Malik, her religion on FB