70 houses gutted in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Over 70 thatched houses were reduced to ashes when a major fire swept through Anduli-Basaghar village under Mahakalpada police station jurisdiction during noon hours on Wednesday.
The loss of property in the blaze is estimated at over Rs 50 lakh, fire personnel said.
The people who have lost their houses and properties belonged to dalits and BPL families.
The fire erupted in the corner of a house and engulfed in no time, Inspector Mahakalpada police station, Padarabinda Tripathy said.
Many were seen desperately trying to douse the fire and retrieve their belongings from the ruins.
Paddy bags, televisions, refrigerators, chairs, tables, brass and aluminum utensils, gold and silver ornaments and many valuables were gutted in the fire, said eyewitnesses.
Fire brigades from Kendrapara rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control after an hour`s frantic efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway