70 houses gutted in Odisha
Kendrapara (Odisha): Over 70 thatched houses were reduced to ashes when a major fire swept through Anduli-Basaghar village under Mahakalpada police station jurisdiction during noon hours on Wednesday.
The loss of property in the blaze is estimated at over Rs 50 lakh, fire personnel said.
The people who have lost their houses and properties belonged to dalits and BPL families.
The fire erupted in the corner of a house and engulfed in no time, Inspector Mahakalpada police station, Padarabinda Tripathy said.
Many were seen desperately trying to douse the fire and retrieve their belongings from the ruins.
Paddy bags, televisions, refrigerators, chairs, tables, brass and aluminum utensils, gold and silver ornaments and many valuables were gutted in the fire, said eyewitnesses.
Fire brigades from Kendrapara rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control after an hour`s frantic efforts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok