Rourkela: Three persons, including a
three-month-old boy, died of diarrhoea and about 40 others
were suffering from the water-borne disease in two villages
under Lahunipara block of Orissa`s Sundargarh district.
Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) S C Patel said
people in Baraguda and Jadibahal villages have reported
symptoms of diarrhoea since last four days.
People in the two villages, situated in an interior
area under Haladikudar panchayat, usually eat wild mushrooms
and other forest products during rainy season besides drinking
contaminated water from nullahs and wells.
The three persons who died of the disease yesterday
were identified as Saroj Munda (6), Randei Munda (40) of
Baraguda and Guru Munda (60) of Jadibahal village.
A medical team with sufficient medicines was
deployed in the area and all precautionary measures were
underway to contain spread of the disease. An investigating
team has also been sent to the area to find out the problems
of the people of remote areas of the block where almost all
are poor tribals, he said.