Woman Maoist carrying Rs 100,000 reward surrenders
Bhubaneswar: A woman Maoist, carrying a reward of Rs 100,000 on her head, surrendered before the Odisha police on Friday, an officer said.
Sandhaya alias Shivabati, 22, surrendered along with a gun at the district headquarters town of Nabarangpur about 570 km from Bhubaneswar," Inspector General of Police (south-western range) Yashwant Jethwa told a news agency.
"Sandhya, a resident of Bhutenga village in Gariabandh district in neighbouring Chhattisgarh state, was involved in Maoist violence in Chhattisgarh and bordering Odisha," Jethwa said.
"She joined the Maoists organisation in 2010 and was an armed cadre of the Gobra Dalam of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist. The Odisha government had announced a cash reward of one lakh rupees for information regarding her.”
"Her surrender is likely to give a setback the Maoists activities near Chhattisgarh-Odisha border. She has urged other cadres to leave the Maoist fold and surrender," he added.
Nabarangpur is considered to be one of the strongholds of Maoists in this state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’