Woman Maoist carrying Rs 100,000 reward surrenders
Bhubaneswar: A woman Maoist, carrying a reward of Rs 100,000 on her head, surrendered before the Odisha police on Friday, an officer said.
Sandhaya alias Shivabati, 22, surrendered along with a gun at the district headquarters town of Nabarangpur about 570 km from Bhubaneswar," Inspector General of Police (south-western range) Yashwant Jethwa told a news agency.
"Sandhya, a resident of Bhutenga village in Gariabandh district in neighbouring Chhattisgarh state, was involved in Maoist violence in Chhattisgarh and bordering Odisha," Jethwa said.
"She joined the Maoists organisation in 2010 and was an armed cadre of the Gobra Dalam of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist. The Odisha government had announced a cash reward of one lakh rupees for information regarding her.”
"Her surrender is likely to give a setback the Maoists activities near Chhattisgarh-Odisha border. She has urged other cadres to leave the Maoist fold and surrender," he added.
Nabarangpur is considered to be one of the strongholds of Maoists in this state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'