Woman Maoist carrying Rs 100,000 reward surrenders
Bhubaneswar: A woman Maoist, carrying a reward of Rs 100,000 on her head, surrendered before the Odisha police on Friday, an officer said.
Sandhaya alias Shivabati, 22, surrendered along with a gun at the district headquarters town of Nabarangpur about 570 km from Bhubaneswar," Inspector General of Police (south-western range) Yashwant Jethwa told a news agency.
"Sandhya, a resident of Bhutenga village in Gariabandh district in neighbouring Chhattisgarh state, was involved in Maoist violence in Chhattisgarh and bordering Odisha," Jethwa said.
"She joined the Maoists organisation in 2010 and was an armed cadre of the Gobra Dalam of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist. The Odisha government had announced a cash reward of one lakh rupees for information regarding her.”
"Her surrender is likely to give a setback the Maoists activities near Chhattisgarh-Odisha border. She has urged other cadres to leave the Maoist fold and surrender," he added.
Nabarangpur is considered to be one of the strongholds of Maoists in this state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'