Women make trees their brothers to protect forest
Rourkela: A number of young women have
decided to take upon themselves the responsibility of saving
the forest in Sambalpur near here from timber mafia by
attaching themselves emotionally to the trees and protecting
them as they would their own brothers.
The reserve forest atop the Budharaja hillock in
Sambalpur town, about 150 km from here, has been losing is
green grandeur as a consequence of large-scale felling by
The Budharaja Surakhsa Samiti, which has been trying
to protect the forest from axes for a long time but without
much success, has decided to involve in its effort hundreds of
young women, most of them college students, who are concerned
about the deteriorating health of the forest.
The women tied rakhies to the trees this past Raksha
Bandhan and took the pledge to protect their "tree-brothers"
as they would protect their blood brothers.
"The tying of a rakhi on someone means you will
protect him till your last breath. Similarly tying a rakhi on
a tree bestows on me the responsibility to protect my
tree-brother to the best of my ability," said Sangita, a
second-year college student.
Environmentalist Rushi Patra said that the
`experiment` was first tried in 2008 with modest success, but
in the following two years it caught the fancy of the young
and old from all walks of life, especially in Sambalpur city.
The forest, spread across 126 acres, has witnessed
many important historic events such as the heroic battle
fought by freedom fighter Veer Surendra Sai against the
Since the end of the 1980s, the forest is being
reduced to a barren expanse thanks to constant attacks by the
timber smugglers, Patra said.
However, she said "We have been successful in our
two-decade-long efforts in transforming the giant bald patch
back into a verdant green expanse again."
A temple in the forest and a moat around it are in
ruins due to years of disuse till a group of locals formed a
committee to restore them to their original state, Loknath
Panda, a member of the Budharaja temple trust, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered