Water level in Pong worrisome; Bhakra`s level up
Chandigarh: Situation in Pong dam continued to remain worrisome as water level in reservoir was about 35 feet less than what it was on corresponding day last year due to deficient rain in catchment areas.
Pong dam, set up on Beas river, on Monday recorded water level of 1,344.38 feet which is 34.72 feet less than against 1,379.10 feet recorded on the same day last year, said an official spokesman of Punjab Irrigation department here.
Inflow of water in Pong dam has been recorded at 23,388 cusecs against 34,108 cusec on the same day last year.
Bhakra Beas Management Board had already alerted partnering states- Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan about the possibility of cutting down water release to these states in the wake of "lower" water level in Pong dam.
However, water level in Bhakra dam was on higher side as compared to level recorded in corresponding period of last year.
Bhakra reservoir today recorded water level of 1,662.50 feet, which is 5.12 feet higher than 1,657.38 feet last year on the same day, he said.
The inflow of water in Bhakra was 45,045 cusecs against 47,794 cusecs last year while the outflow was 25,000 cusecs against 31,173 cusecs last year.
Bhakra and Pong dams are to be filled up to a level of 1,680 feet and 1,390 feet respectively by September.
The water level of Ranjit Sagar dam touched 519.46 meter mark which is 2.17 meter more than the water level recorded last year on the same day, the official said.
The inflow of water in Ranjit Sagar dam was 12,233 cusecs against 14,760 cusecs and water release stood at 16,312 cusecs against 5,447 cusecs release on the same day last year, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony