Afghan actor killed in NATO air strike
Moscow: Prominent Afghan actor Nazar Mohammad Majnonyar Helmandi who starred in more than a dozen films has been killed in a NATO air strike in Afghanistan.
Helmandi was killed along with three militants who had seized the movie star on suspicion of spying for the government in Helmand province, his brother Dilawar told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Helmandi had gone to Khoskabi on the outskirts of Lashkargah to inquire after his ailing sister when he was captured by the armed rebels, he said.
The militants were interrogating Helmandi when the NATO air strike took place, killing the actor and the rebels.
Dilawar identified his brother`s body which was mutilated beyond recognition.
Police confirmed the air strike, saying a rebel commander, Mohammad Alam, was among those killed.
Helmandi`s movies highlighted the struggle against drug trafficking and terrorism in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal