Afghan actor killed in NATO air strike
Moscow: Prominent Afghan actor Nazar Mohammad Majnonyar Helmandi who starred in more than a dozen films has been killed in a NATO air strike in Afghanistan.
Helmandi was killed along with three militants who had seized the movie star on suspicion of spying for the government in Helmand province, his brother Dilawar told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Helmandi had gone to Khoskabi on the outskirts of Lashkargah to inquire after his ailing sister when he was captured by the armed rebels, he said.
The militants were interrogating Helmandi when the NATO air strike took place, killing the actor and the rebels.
Dilawar identified his brother`s body which was mutilated beyond recognition.
Police confirmed the air strike, saying a rebel commander, Mohammad Alam, was among those killed.
Helmandi`s movies highlighted the struggle against drug trafficking and terrorism in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka