Afghan soldier opens fire on NATO partners: Officials
Kabul: An Afghan soldier today opened fire on his NATO partners in Kabul, wounding a NATO soldier in the latest in a series of "insider" attacks on alliance forces, officials said.
Attacks in which Afghan forces turn their guns on their international partners have killed scores of NATO-led troops, breeding mistrust and undermining efforts to train local forces before NATO combat troops withdraw next year.
"An Afghan army soldier opened fire on NATO troops in Kabul, wounding a NATO soldier on his leg," defence ministry spokesman general Zahir Azimi said.
"The attacker was killed when NATO soldiers returned fire, the incident is under investigation," he said, adding that it happened inside a base.
A NATO spokesman in Kabul confirmed the incident but would not provide more details. The bulk of around 87,000 US-led NATO troops who are stationed in Afghanistan as part of the war on terror campaign are scheduled to withdraw in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video