Fifth SAARC secretary-level meet review poverty status
Kathmandu: Representatives from eight SAARC countries including India today reviewed the progress made in poverty alleviation in the South Asian region and discussed to make the SAARC development goals compatible with MDGs during the fifth Secretary-level meeting here on Thursday.
Representatives from member states, including a four-member Indian delegation led by Principal Advisor to Planning Commission Vandana Kumari Jena, participated in the meeting that took stock of the progress in the past regarding attaining goals on poverty alleviation.
Secretary General of SAARC Ahmed Saleem inaugurated the meeting and said special attention should be paid to meet the desires of the people of South Asia for the development of this region.
The meeting mainly focused on making SAARC Development Goals (SDGs) compatible with the Millennium Development Goal (MDGs) and reviewed the progress made by SAARC in reducing poverty in the region.
During the meeting, the member states briefed about the status of individual country on the issue.
They also discussed about preparing a Regional Poverty Profile of the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation).
This was the preparatory meeting for the third SAARC minister-level meeting on Poverty Alleviation tomorrow.
The last ministerial meeting of SAARC on Poverty Alleviation was held in 2008 in Maldives, while the fourth secretary level meeting was held in 2011 in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city