Fifth SAARC secretary-level meet review poverty status
Kathmandu: Representatives from eight SAARC countries including India today reviewed the progress made in poverty alleviation in the South Asian region and discussed to make the SAARC development goals compatible with MDGs during the fifth Secretary-level meeting here on Thursday.
Representatives from member states, including a four-member Indian delegation led by Principal Advisor to Planning Commission Vandana Kumari Jena, participated in the meeting that took stock of the progress in the past regarding attaining goals on poverty alleviation.
Secretary General of SAARC Ahmed Saleem inaugurated the meeting and said special attention should be paid to meet the desires of the people of South Asia for the development of this region.
The meeting mainly focused on making SAARC Development Goals (SDGs) compatible with the Millennium Development Goal (MDGs) and reviewed the progress made by SAARC in reducing poverty in the region.
During the meeting, the member states briefed about the status of individual country on the issue.
They also discussed about preparing a Regional Poverty Profile of the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation).
This was the preparatory meeting for the third SAARC minister-level meeting on Poverty Alleviation tomorrow.
The last ministerial meeting of SAARC on Poverty Alleviation was held in 2008 in Maldives, while the fourth secretary level meeting was held in 2011 in Pakistan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India