Alien comets were stolen by Sun 4.5bn yrs ago
Washington: Computer simulations in a new study have shown that the early Sun could have stolen comets from neighboring newborn stars 4.5 billion years ago.
Hal Levinson of the Southwest Research Institute (SWRI) in Boulder, Colorado conducted the study, reports Discovery News.
At a distance of roughly six trillion miles from the sun an unknown number of ancient comet nuclei-each just a few miles across-drift at temperatures near absolute zero.
This hypothetical region was named the Oort cloud after mid-20th century Dutch astronomer Jan Oort, who first proposed such a twilight region to explain what seemed to be a hidden reservoir of comets.
The primeval deep freezer may contain comets that were gravitationally snatched from other stars.
Conventional wisdom has been that comets accompanied our own solar system`s planetary formation and then got gravitationally booted out to huge distances, like storing junk in the attic. But this kind of mayhem was happing around neighbouring star systems too.
Therefore, interstellar space got cluttered with a snowstorm of comets orphaned from their birthing star.
Levinson`s model estimates that there should be 400 billion comets out there that are loosely bound to the sun. But in those simulations where the comets only originate in the newborn solar system, the predicted population is a paltry 6 billion-one for nearly every person now living on Earth.
Levinson and his team say that the ``alien comet`` idea is bolstered by observations that found comets with very long orbital periods.
If this idea is correct, that comets could give us not just domestic chemistry of the primeval solar system, but imported chemical samples of the environment around those stars that where born along with the sun.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know