China`s moon rover goes into third planned dormancy
Zee Media Bureau
Beijing: China`s first lunar rover Jade Rabbit has entered its third “planned dormancy”. It had woken up ten days ago after being declared dead and now has entered its 14-day dormancy yesterday, with the mechanical control issues unresolved.
Experts had feared that it might never function again, but Yutu woke up on February 12, two days behind schedule. The news had caused a stir in China`s social networking circles and now it has again gone into dormancy until the technical issues get corrected.
The State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND) reports that Yutu only carried out fixed point observations during its third lunar day, equivalent to about two weeks on Earth.
Yutu touched down on the moon`s surface on December 15, some hours after lunar probe Chang`e-3 landed. Yutu`s radar, panorama camera and infrared imaging equipment are functioning normally, but the control issues that have troubled the rover since January persist.
The rover was designed to roam the lunar surface for at least three months to survey the moon`s geological structure and surface substances and look for natural resources.
But problems emerged before the rover entered its second dormancy on the moon on January 25 as the lunar night fell.
According to SASTIND, the mechanic control abnormality occurred due to the "complicated lunar surface".
After United States and the Soviet Union, China is the third country to soft-land on the moon. Chang`e-3 is part of the second phase of China`s lunar program, which includes orbiting, landing and returning to Earth.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams