Falling debris of China`s Moon rover damages houses
Beijing: Large pieces of debris from the rocket carrying China`s first Moon rover landed in a village more than a thousand kilometres from the launch site, damaging two houses.
Pieces of debris damaged the houses in Suining county of central Hunan province but no injuries were reported, Zeng Jiancheng, an official from the county`s People`s Armed Forces Departments (PAFD) said.
The owners of the broken houses have been reimbursed by the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, the official said.
The Chang`e-3 lunar probe was successfully launched at 1:30 am from Xichang in southwest China`s Sichuan province on Monday.
Debris from the rocket crashed into the granary of Yang Weihan, a villager in Wawutang township, Suining County.
The debris created a large hole on the roof of the granary as it crashed into it and a ton of rice was also ruined by the tiles and beams broken by the wreckage of the rocket, said Yang.
After field evaluations, Yang was given compensation of 10,800 yuan (USD 1,772). Yuan Shifa, another owner of a broken house hit by a 1.5-meter long rocket piece, received 5,200 (about USD 900) yuan in compensation.
Over 1.60 lakh people living in 11 townships of the county were evacuated to avoid danger from falling rocket pieces before the launch, Zeng said.
Since 1992, Suining has seen many village evacuations during about 30 launches of rockets from Xichang, Zeng said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India