India to launch `Mangalyaan` to Mars to strengthen space race with China
London: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is reportedly going to launch a spacecraft to Mars in a move to strengthen its space race with China.
ISRO is said to have planning to set out "Mangalyaan" to test the capability of India`s space technology to carry out interplanetary missions, the BBC reports.
Since a Chinese attempt to send a spacecraft to Mars was aborted because of a technical problem in 2011, the Indian space agency fast-tracked its Mars mission.
The spacecraft will also collect scientific information about the planet`s atmosphere and surface, the report added.
The Mangalyaan probe was set to launch on 28 October, but rough weather condition in the Pacific delayed the process by a week.
If the mission succeeds, ISRO will become the fourth space agency, after those in the U.S., Europe and Russia to have successfully sent a spacecraft to Mars.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!