Meteor shower to peak Tuesday night
New Delhi: A celestial Diwali is in store for star-gazers who can look forward to see fireworks in the sky in the form of meteor showers tomorrow night.
Around 10 to 15 meteors per hour are expected to be seen on November 20 (as earth will encounter dust trails of 1400 AD passage of the parent comet 55P/Tempel Tuttle), as per the International Meteor Organisation (IMO).
From 2.30 AM onwards, observers should look towards East direction to observe fast moving bright streaks of light zipping across the skies.
The meteor shower gets the name "LEONIDS" because meteors in it appear to radiate from the constellation Leo, Sri N Raghunandan Kumar of Planetary Society of India said.
Leonids have double peak activity as the number of meteors maximise on two dates that is on November 17 and 20.
Telescopes or binoculars are not required to witness this celestial spectacle, he said.
Comet 55P/Tempel?Tuttle is a periodic comet with an orbital period of 33 years. It passes through our solar system once in every 33 years. It was independently discovered by Ernst Tempel on December 19, 1865 and by Horace Parnell Tuttle on January 6, 1866.
Leonids can be 9 mm in size and have 85 g of mass.
Meteors are startling streaks of light that suddenly appear in the sky when a dust particle from outer space evaporates high in the Earth`s atmosphere.
The light phenomenon in the atmosphere is called a "meteor", while the dust particle is called a "meteoroid".
When the number of meteors is large, it is called a meteor shower or meteor storm. The shower always happen on a particular day or a time period as it is associated usually with comets.
To see the maximum shooting stars, the area should have minimum light pollution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan