Sun`s magnetic field on the brink of 180-degree flip
Washington: Measurements from NASA-supported observatories suggest that the sun`s vast magnetic field is about to flip.
"It looks like we`re no more than three to four months away from a complete field reversal," solar physicist Todd Hoeksema of Stanford University, said.
"This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system," he said.
The sun`s magnetic field changes polarity approximately every 11 years.
It happens at the peak of each solar cycle as the sun`s inner magnetic dynamo re-organizes itself.
The coming reversal will mark the midpoint of Solar Cycle 24. Half of "solar max" will be behind us, with half yet to come.
Hoeksema is the director of Stanford`s Wilcox Solar Observatory, one of the few observatories in the world that monitors the sun`s polar magnetic fields.
The poles are a herald of change. Just as Earth scientists watch our planet`s polar regions for signs of climate change, solar physicists do the same thing for the sun.
Magnetograms at Wilcox have been tracking the sun`s polar magnetism since 1976, and they have recorded three grand reversals-with a fourth in the offing.
Solar physicist Phil Scherrer, also at Stanford, describes what happens: "The sun`s polar magnetic fields weaken, go to zero and then emerge again with the opposite polarity. This is a regular part of the solar cycle."
A reversal of the sun`s magnetic field is, literally, a big event. The domain of the sun`s magnetic influence (also known as the "heliosphere") extends billions of kilometers beyond Pluto.
Changes to the field`s polarity ripple all the way out to the Voyager probes, on the doorstep of interstellar space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi