HC orders affiliation to Alagiri family`s college
Madurai: In a relief to an engineering college run by the family of former union minister M K Alagiri, waging a two-year long legal battle for its functioning, the Madras High Court on Friday directed the Anna University to provide provisional affiliation to it for 2013-14.
Justice S Manikumar of Madurai Bench of HC was allowing a petition by the Daya Engineering College at Sivarakottai here, owned by the Alagiri Educational Trust, with a cost of Rs 25,000 to be paid by the Registrar of Anna University.
In a hard hitting Judgement, he said once it suffered an adverse order in this court, and the same was ultimately confirmed by the Supreme Court, "It is incumbent on the part of the university to respect the orders... But in my opinion respect to the courts` orders is conspicuously absent."
He also set aside the university`s May 20 last order denying affiliation to the college, because it looked as if it did not function.
The legal battle for affiliation by the college began since its inception in 2011.
The university rejected affiliation after finding three deficiencies during an inspection in July 2011, which were later rectified.
However, even after this, affiliation was not granted, prompting the college to allege `malafide intention` by the university.
The high court had on June 29 last year directed the university to provide affiliation to the college as per law on or before July 7, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi