HC orders affiliation to Alagiri family`s college
Madurai: In a relief to an engineering college run by the family of former union minister M K Alagiri, waging a two-year long legal battle for its functioning, the Madras High Court on Friday directed the Anna University to provide provisional affiliation to it for 2013-14.
Justice S Manikumar of Madurai Bench of HC was allowing a petition by the Daya Engineering College at Sivarakottai here, owned by the Alagiri Educational Trust, with a cost of Rs 25,000 to be paid by the Registrar of Anna University.
In a hard hitting Judgement, he said once it suffered an adverse order in this court, and the same was ultimately confirmed by the Supreme Court, "It is incumbent on the part of the university to respect the orders... But in my opinion respect to the courts` orders is conspicuously absent."
He also set aside the university`s May 20 last order denying affiliation to the college, because it looked as if it did not function.
The legal battle for affiliation by the college began since its inception in 2011.
The university rejected affiliation after finding three deficiencies during an inspection in July 2011, which were later rectified.
However, even after this, affiliation was not granted, prompting the college to allege `malafide intention` by the university.
The high court had on June 29 last year directed the university to provide affiliation to the college as per law on or before July 7, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter