Scrap Kudankulam nuclear plant: Swami Agnivesh
Thiruvananthapuram: Demanding that the Centre
immediately scrap the Kudankulam Nuclear power project, social
activist Swami Agnivesh on Thursday sought a high-level enquiry and
public hearing to `expose` corruption in the energy sector.
"I demand that the government scrap the plant and initiate
an alternative source of clean energy. An independent panel,
comprising national and international experts of credible
records should visit the site and a public hearing should be
held," he told reporters after visiting KNPP in Tamil Nadu.
Since the legal system or Right to Information Act were
`helpless` in the case of Kudankulam, a higher level of
inquiry enquiry-- much more than Lokpal and Lokayukta -- was
needed to expose corruption, he said.
"Why has Russia given up on nuclear energy after the
Chernobyl disaster and not a single plant has been set up? Why
has Japan, a technologically advanced country decided to
dismantle all nuclear power plants in the near future after
"Why has Germany, another highly-industrialised country
decided to go non-nuclear for its energy requirements and
dismantle their existing plants by 2020?," he asked.
He criticised former President A P J Abdul Kalam for
giving a clean chit to KNPP and said eminent geologists and
nuclear scientists had told him that the project was not
at all safe for an atomic plant.
Swami Agnivesh alleged that Tamil Nadu government had not
taken precautionary steps in Kudankulam area in the wake of
the tsunami alert issued yesterday.
He urged Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to
withdraw all sedition charges slapped on campaigners against
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today