Sivakasi blaze: Owner of firecracker unit held
Madurai: The owner of a Sivakasi cracker manufacturing unit where a fire on September 5 claimed 39 lives was arrested on Sunday on culpable homicide not amounting to murder and other charges from Samayanallur in this district.
Murugesan, who had been absconding since the incident, was arrested by a special police team headed by Deputy Superintendent of Polic (Virudhunagar District) Ramamoorthy near a temple, they said.
He has bee charged under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), Section 286 (negligent conduct with respect to explosive substance), Section 337 (causing hurt by endangering life) and Section 338 (causing grievous..) of the IPC along with various sections under Indian Explosives Act and Explosive Substances Act.
He has been taken to Virudhunagar in connection with the ongoing investigation.
Police had earlier arrested 12 persons in connection with the fire at Om Shakthi fireworks factory, which broke out when workers were mixing chemicals to make fancy fire crackers.
The Tamil Nadu government has ordered a magisterial probe into the mishap at Sivakasi, the hub of the country`s cracker industry.
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma has also ordered an inquiry into the whole incident.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!