Sivakasi blaze: Owner of firecracker unit held
Madurai: The owner of a Sivakasi cracker manufacturing unit where a fire on September 5 claimed 39 lives was arrested on Sunday on culpable homicide not amounting to murder and other charges from Samayanallur in this district.
Murugesan, who had been absconding since the incident, was arrested by a special police team headed by Deputy Superintendent of Polic (Virudhunagar District) Ramamoorthy near a temple, they said.
He has bee charged under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), Section 286 (negligent conduct with respect to explosive substance), Section 337 (causing hurt by endangering life) and Section 338 (causing grievous..) of the IPC along with various sections under Indian Explosives Act and Explosive Substances Act.
He has been taken to Virudhunagar in connection with the ongoing investigation.
Police had earlier arrested 12 persons in connection with the fire at Om Shakthi fireworks factory, which broke out when workers were mixing chemicals to make fancy fire crackers.
The Tamil Nadu government has ordered a magisterial probe into the mishap at Sivakasi, the hub of the country`s cracker industry.
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma has also ordered an inquiry into the whole incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory