Akhilesh invites Mukherjee for UP assembly`s 125-year celebrations
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Sunday extended an invitation to President Pranab Mukherjee to be the chief guest at a function to commemorate the 125th year of the Uttar Pradesh state assembly next month.
In a letter written to the president, the chief minister said it was the wish of the legislators and the people of the state that Mukherjee be the chief guest at the momentous function, scheduled between Jan 8 and 10, 2013.
Akhilesh Yadav also wrote to Communications Minister Kapil Sibal for release of a special commemorative stamp and to union Finance Minister P. Chidambaram for release of a special coin by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for the anniversary.
The state assembly completes 125 years on Jan 8, 2013. Officials say that preparations would begin once the president gives a green signal to his participation and dates are fixed.
A legislative council was set up in UP, then called the North Western Provinces and Avadh, Jan 8, 1887 and its first meeting was held at Thornhill Memorial Hall in Allahabad.
Prominent members of the legislative council in the British times include luminaries like Pandit Motilal Nehru, Mahamana Madan Mohan Malviya, Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, Sayyed Ahmad, Pandit Govind Vallabh Pant, and C.Y. Chintamani.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon