Journalists safe in Jhansi: CEC
New Delhi: Amid reports that some Samajwadi
Party supporters clashed with mediapersons in Jhansi of Uttar
Pradesh and were held hostage in a room by the mob collected
there, Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi on Tuesday said the
journalists were "absolutely safe".
"Just spoke to DGP. There is a mob of 4000. Journalists
are absolutely safe. Waiting for the mob to clear," Quraishi
Some mediamen were trapped in a room after SP supporters
clashed with them and damaged the equipment of some cameramen.
Reports reaching here from Jhansi, about 300 km from
Lucknow, said supporters of SP clashed with some TV cameramen
during which some of their equipment were broken.
A complaint in this regard has been registered with the
district administration, sources said.
Counting for the Babina assembly seat in Jhansi had to be
stopped after the seal of 17 EVMs were found broken.
Official sources said following objections from SP
candidate Chandrapal Singh Yadav counting was stopped in the
evening and further directions have been sought from the
Election Commission in Delhi.
District magistrate Anil Garg when contacted said counting
has been stopped after some people raised objections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city