Maya`s poster discolouring case: 4 students released on bail
Lucknow: Four school students were arrested
for allegedly smearing colour on posters of UP Chief Minister
Mayawati during Holi and a local court today freed them on
bail even as she chided the police for taking such harsh
action for a `petty mistake`.
The students of UP Sainik School here, who are appearing
for their XII board exams, were arrested on Holi night on
charges of damaging public property and a case had been lodged
against them under the Prevention of Damage to Public Property
Act. They were later sent to a reformatory home for juveniles.
"The juvenile justice board granted bail to the four
students. They were asked to furnish bonds of Rs 20,000 each
after considering their family background and board
examination," official sources said.
The board also took a written undertaking from the
parents of the students.
Taking serious exception to action taken against the
students for their "petty mistake", Mayawati said she talked
to the Lucknow DIG and asked him why they had been punished
so harshly and that too during their exams.
"I have asked him to release them immediately," she told
a press conference here.
"I talked to DIG Lucknow this morning after the
incident came into my knowledge. The boys had made a petty
mistake and such a stringent action should not have been taken
against them that too during their board exams. They should
have been released after giving a warning. I have asked police
to ensure that such incidents are not repeated," she said. AVA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof