Muslim quota: UP BJP to hold statewide protests
Lucknow: Protesting the UPA government`s proposal of Muslim reservation within the 27 percent OBC quota, Uttar Pradesh BJP on Saturday said it will hold statewide
demonstrations against it on December 27, the day when the Bill would be tabled in Parliament.
"The move to provide reservation to minorities is divisive and not in the interest of the country. BJP will protest the move across the country and in the state it will
hold demonstration at all district headquarters on December 27 when the Bill would be tabled in Parliament," BJP state president Surya Pratap Shahi told reporters here.
Claiming that providing reservation to Muslims is like declaring India as a Hindu nation, BJP leader Uma Bharti said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should clarify whether he had declared India as a Hindu nation.
"Reservation on the basis of religion cannot be provided unless they (Centre) declare India as Hindu nation," she said during the joint press conference with Shahi.
"It was a move to divide the country," she said, adding that it was a ploy of the Congress ahead of the UP assembly elections to appease the Muslim community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security