Sea of pilgrims throng Sangam as Magh Mela begins
Allahabad: A sea of pilgrims and devotees thronged the Sangam here to take a holy dip on the first day of the annual Hindu festival of Magh Mela that started Thursday amid heavy security, officials said.
Devotees of all ages and genders started lining up at the banks at 4 am to take a dip at the Sangam - the holy confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati rivers.
"We believe since 4 am as many as two-lakh devotees had already taken a holy dip at the Sangam and the number of devotees opting for the holy bath would definitely increase later in the day," Pushkar Srivastava, an officer of the mela organising committee, told reporters.
"The mela is going on smoothly. There have not been any complaints from the devotees regarding the preparations made for the festival," he added.
According to officials, strict security arrangements have been made on the first day of the mela that started on Paush Purnima - an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar.
"For today, we have deployed five companies of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), two companies of the Rapid Action Force (RAF), 1,100 constables, 130 sub-inspectors and other security personnel for organising the mela smoothly," Superintendent of Police NP Singh said.
It is believed that taking a holy dip in the Sangam at this time strengthens life and makes it disease free. The Magh Mela will end Feb 12 on Mahashivratri.
"I took a dip for my mother and prayed for her longevity," said Rahul Sinha, who came from Motihari town in Bihar.
"It is believed today all the gods and goddesses are present at the Sangam and bless those taking a holy dip," Mridul Saran, another devotee from Bihar, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm