Sea of pilgrims throng Sangam as Magh Mela begins
Allahabad: A sea of pilgrims and devotees thronged the Sangam here to take a holy dip on the first day of the annual Hindu festival of Magh Mela that started Thursday amid heavy security, officials said.
Devotees of all ages and genders started lining up at the banks at 4 am to take a dip at the Sangam - the holy confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati rivers.
"We believe since 4 am as many as two-lakh devotees had already taken a holy dip at the Sangam and the number of devotees opting for the holy bath would definitely increase later in the day," Pushkar Srivastava, an officer of the mela organising committee, told reporters.
"The mela is going on smoothly. There have not been any complaints from the devotees regarding the preparations made for the festival," he added.
According to officials, strict security arrangements have been made on the first day of the mela that started on Paush Purnima - an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar.
"For today, we have deployed five companies of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), two companies of the Rapid Action Force (RAF), 1,100 constables, 130 sub-inspectors and other security personnel for organising the mela smoothly," Superintendent of Police NP Singh said.
It is believed that taking a holy dip in the Sangam at this time strengthens life and makes it disease free. The Magh Mela will end Feb 12 on Mahashivratri.
"I took a dip for my mother and prayed for her longevity," said Rahul Sinha, who came from Motihari town in Bihar.
"It is believed today all the gods and goddesses are present at the Sangam and bless those taking a holy dip," Mridul Saran, another devotee from Bihar, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door