Sea of pilgrims throng Sangam as Magh Mela begins
Allahabad: A sea of pilgrims and devotees thronged the Sangam here to take a holy dip on the first day of the annual Hindu festival of Magh Mela that started Thursday amid heavy security, officials said.
Devotees of all ages and genders started lining up at the banks at 4 am to take a dip at the Sangam - the holy confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati rivers.
"We believe since 4 am as many as two-lakh devotees had already taken a holy dip at the Sangam and the number of devotees opting for the holy bath would definitely increase later in the day," Pushkar Srivastava, an officer of the mela organising committee, told reporters.
"The mela is going on smoothly. There have not been any complaints from the devotees regarding the preparations made for the festival," he added.
According to officials, strict security arrangements have been made on the first day of the mela that started on Paush Purnima - an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar.
"For today, we have deployed five companies of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), two companies of the Rapid Action Force (RAF), 1,100 constables, 130 sub-inspectors and other security personnel for organising the mela smoothly," Superintendent of Police NP Singh said.
It is believed that taking a holy dip in the Sangam at this time strengthens life and makes it disease free. The Magh Mela will end Feb 12 on Mahashivratri.
"I took a dip for my mother and prayed for her longevity," said Rahul Sinha, who came from Motihari town in Bihar.
"It is believed today all the gods and goddesses are present at the Sangam and bless those taking a holy dip," Mridul Saran, another devotee from Bihar, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up