Helipads being built to speed up rescue in Uttarakhand
New Delhi: With thousands of people still stranded in the mountainous state of Uttarakhand, the rescue teams are focusing on evacuating people stuck in the jungles between Kedarnath and Gaurikund and more helipads were being built, said ITBP chief Ajay Chadha on Friday.
Addressing a press conference, Chadha said the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and the National Disaster Response Force teams were trying to set up a small helipad in Rambada, near Kedarnath, to enable choppers to land and evacuate people.
"We are trying to evacuate people and trying to create a helipad to help people stuck in the jungles in Kedarnath and Gaurikund," Chadha said at a press conference.
The rescue teams were trying to create more roads to evacuate people as roads have been washed away, he added.
Asked if the authorities were trying to press in more choppers to evacuate people, Chadha said the helipads being used were small and it was difficult for more than one or two choppers to land at a time.
He said the army authorities are trying to create a big helipad at Gaurikund to enable the big MI-17 choppers to land.
He termed the rescue operations, which have picked up with the weather clearing, as "satisfactory".
Chadha visited Uttarakhand along with senior home ministry officials Wednesday.
According to officials, around 150 people have been killed and around 60,000 are stranded in the hill state that was hit by torrential rains, flash floods and cloud bursts over the weekend.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you