Fire scare in National Library in Kolkata
Kolkata: A minor fire on Tuesday broke out at the National Library, the largest in the country, but no damage was reported, officials said.
"There was a short circuit in the air conditioning (AC) unit after which we switched off electricity in the whole campus. The situation came under control later on," Dr P Y Rajendra Kumar, Director General of the library, told PTI.
There was no damage to the heritage structure or any books or documents as the AC plant is separate from the main library building.
Fire brigade officials said two fire engines were sent to the spot which put off the blaze.
With a vast collection of over 2.2 million books and rare manuscripts of high archival value, the 178-year National Library campus is spread over a 30 acre plot in Alipore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir