Kolkata fire: Mamata demands judicial or CBI inquiry
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee on Sunday demanded either a judicial inquiry by a sitting
Supreme Court judge or a CBI inquiry into the Stephen Court
blaze to find out if there was any negligence on the part of
the state government.
"I understand the state government has announced setting
up of an inquiry committee. But it will be an internal inquiry
by the state government. Truth must come out. So many people
have lost their lives," Banerjee said.
"There should be a judicial inquiry by a sitting Supreme
Court judge or the state government should hand over the probe
to the CBI," she told reporters here.
Saying the incident was very serious and responsibility
had to be fixed, the railway minister alleged that in the name
of DNA testing to identify bodies, a `jugglery` was taking
Though the death toll in the tragic incident is put at
33, an attempt is being made to hide more bodies suggested by
finding of torn limbs from the fire-ravaged building, she
Banerjee on Sunday participated in a silent procession of
citizens from Birla Planetarium to Stephen Court where
mourners lighted candles in memory of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends