15 Syrian rebels die in battle for base: Activists
Beirut: Activists say at least 15 opposition fighters have been killed in a battle with Syrian government troops for a military helicopter base in the country`s north.
The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights says fighting between rebels and President Bashar Assad`s troops is raging around the Mannagh base in the northern province of Aleppo.
The activist group says the government deployed fighter jets to the area yesterday, pounding rebel positions around the helicopter base, which is located near Syria`s border with Turkey.
The Observatory said today that at least 15 rebels have been killed in the fighting.
Rebels have repeatedly targeted Assad`s air bases around the country in their 2-year-old campaign to topple his regime. More than 70,000 people have been killed since the conflict started in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause