15 Syrian rebels die in battle for base: Activists
Beirut: Activists say at least 15 opposition fighters have been killed in a battle with Syrian government troops for a military helicopter base in the country`s north.
The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights says fighting between rebels and President Bashar Assad`s troops is raging around the Mannagh base in the northern province of Aleppo.
The activist group says the government deployed fighter jets to the area yesterday, pounding rebel positions around the helicopter base, which is located near Syria`s border with Turkey.
The Observatory said today that at least 15 rebels have been killed in the fighting.
Rebels have repeatedly targeted Assad`s air bases around the country in their 2-year-old campaign to topple his regime. More than 70,000 people have been killed since the conflict started in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption