Bosnian ex-leader accused of war crime in extradition case
London: The extradition hearing of former
Bosnian President Ejup Ganic got underway in London on Monday,
with lawyers acting for Serbia stating he was guilty of a
"clear war crime" and must face justice.
Prosecutor James Lewis detailed Serbia`s claims that in
1992, Ganic helped mastermind attacks on a Yuglosav army
officers` club, then on ambulances sent to the scene and later
on an army convoy.
"We say on the face of it that is a clear war crime. It
is an attack on ambulances and it is an attack on people who
have surrendered," Lewis told the hearing at City of
Westminster Magistrates` Court.
Ganic, 64, was arrested at London`s Heathrow airport on
March 1 on an extradition warrant from Serbia for alleged war
crimes during the 1990s Balkans conflict.
He was subsequently released on bail and is fighting the
Belgrade believes he is implicated in the killing of 18
soldiers and officers in the military convoy attack in May
1992, when Ganic was a member of the Bosnian presidency.
Ganic, who claims the allegations are politically
motivated, was present in the public gallery at the court,
along with his son Emir and daughter Emina.
Emina told AFP: "We have seen the evidence and we are
A small group of protesters gathered outside the hearing,
which is expected to take approximately seven days, holding up
banners saying: "Ganic -- blood on his hands" and "Bosnian
President war criminal".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!