Bosnian Muslims may honour late Pope
Sarajevo: They may
not recognise him as a saint, but Muslims in Bosnia are
considering honouring the late Pope John Paul II with a
monument in the heart of Sarajevo.
Because of his support for inter-religious and
intercultural dialogue, "I think that Pope John Paul II is one
of the most important figures of the 20th century," the head
of the Bosnian Islamic Community, Mustafa Ceric, told a news agency.
Ceric prayed for world peace with the late pope in
The almost 90 per cent Muslim population the endured
the brutal Serb siege of Sarajevo during the 1992-95 war
waited "every Sunday to hear his messages of hope," as the
pope never failed to call for an end of their suffering, Ceric
"This is why I think he deserves to have a statue here
in the city of Sarajevo," he said.
John Paul had wanted to visit Sarajevo at the height
of the war in September 1994 but the trip was cancelled after
the Serbs said they wouldn`t guarantee his safety.
He visited Sarajevo a year after the war ended and
tens of thousands jammed the streets to welcome him. In front
of the main Sarajevo Cathedral, he shook hands with the crowd
and stroked the foreheads of weeping people, many of them
City authorities are now considering erecting the
statue in that location in front of the cathedral.
He visited Bosnia again in 2003, travelling to the
predominantly Serb city of Banja Luka where he apologised for
crimes committed by Roman Catholic Nazi supporters on
Christian Orthodox Serbs during World War II.
"In the 21st century we are missing such a personality
as John Paul II was," Ceric said.
John Paul II will be beatified by the Vatican on May 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!