Britain, Russia expel diplomats in espionage spat
London: Britain has expelled a Russian diplomat, and Russia expelled a Briton in the latest skirmish in a long-running spat over spying.
Foreign Secretary William Hague on Wednesday said that Britain had asked the Russian Embassy in London to withdraw a staff member on December 10 "in response to clear evidence of activities by the Russian intelligence services against UK interests."
He said Russia, in return, expelled a diplomat from the British Embassy in Moscow.
The Russian Foreign Ministry and the Kremlin refused to comment when contacted by the Associated Press. UK-Russia relations soured after the 2006 poisoning death in London of former Russian agent Alexander Litvinenko.
Russia has refused to extradite Britain`s main suspect in the case, former KGB officer Andrei Lugovoi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India