Calls for inquest into reported Iran blogger death
Dubai: A prominent press freedom group has joined the US State Department to demand Iran conduct a full investigation into the reported death of a jailed blogger.
Iranian opposition websites this week claimed that Sattar Beheshti died from severe abuses after his arrest last month. Iranian officials have made no comment, but the reports brought calls for a full-scale Iranian probe yesterday from State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said today that Iranian authorities must release full details of the "suspicious death" of the 35-year-old blogger, whose posts were highly critical of the Iranian leadership.
Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested amid widespread crackdowns in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you