Calls for inquest into reported Iran blogger death
Dubai: A prominent press freedom group has joined the US State Department to demand Iran conduct a full investigation into the reported death of a jailed blogger.
Iranian opposition websites this week claimed that Sattar Beheshti died from severe abuses after his arrest last month. Iranian officials have made no comment, but the reports brought calls for a full-scale Iranian probe yesterday from State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.
The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said today that Iranian authorities must release full details of the "suspicious death" of the 35-year-old blogger, whose posts were highly critical of the Iranian leadership.
Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested amid widespread crackdowns in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside