Caning under Sharia law must be explained: Malaysian Deputy PM
Kuala Lumpur: Days after three Muslim women were whipped for having illicit sex, Malaysian Deputy Premier Muhyiddin Yassin on Friday said religious authorities must explain properly the issue of caning under Sharia law to avoid the punishment from being viewed negatively by local and global communities.
The Deputy Prime Minister said many, including Malaysians, were horrified at the idea of a woman being caned because they did not know how it was executed.
"The caning punishment meted out by the Shariah court is legal and how the international community looks at it, is up to them. But I believe it is important that authorities make an effort to explain the procedure because it is far different from the impression many have," he said.
"While the caning sentence meted out by civil courts can cause hurt and sometimes even death, caning according to Shariah law is light. It is more to educate and remind Muslims to honour and abide by their religion," he said after chairing the Cabinet committee on human capital development.
The three women, who were caned on February 9 at a local prison, became the first women in the country to be flogged for committing Shariah offences.
A Shariah court had recently also sentenced a Muslim model, Kartika Shukarno, to be caned for drinking beer in a restaurant in July last year.
The sentence against the 33-year-old, which evoked international media interest, has not yet been executed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender