China plans Xinjiang crackdown for riot anniversary

Last Updated: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 21:30

Beijing: Police in the capital of China`s
restive Xinjiang will launch a security clampdown ahead of the
anniversary of ethnic riots, the government said on Friday, in an
indication they fear further unrest.

Authorities in the city of Urumqi, which exploded in
deadly riots last July 5, will "increase the police presence
in key places, vital sectors and public areas," the Xinjiang
region`s state-run Tianshannet website said.
Police will also ramp up inspections of all people
transporting and using dangerous explosive materials and
"severely deal" with those found violating the rules.

Xinjiang had already been beefing up security and
authorities have warned of a continued "separatist" threat in
the region after the violence in Urumqi last July between
Muslim ethnic Uighurs and members of China`s dominant Han
group.

The violence saw nearly 200 people killed and up to 1,700
injured, according to government figures.
The new clampdown will begin on Sunday and last until
July 20, Tianshannet said, adding that police stations in
Urumqi will be strengthened with an additional 1,000 officers
for three weeks from June 25.

Earlier state media reports said police recently held
large-scale anti-riot exercises to prepare for the
anniversary.

PTI



First Published: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 21:30

comments powered by Disqus