China: Police chief sacked over mistress scandal
Beijing: A police chief in northwest China has been removed from the post as he is being investigated for allegedly keeping a pair of twin sisters as mistresses, local authorities said on Sunday.
Qi Fang, director of public security bureau of Wusu City, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, has been embroiled in the sex scandal since earlier this week. He was sacked yesterday, the Tacheng prefecture committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) announced.
According to state-run Xinhua news agency, Qi was accused of abusing power to give jobs to twin sisters he has been keeping as mistresses.
The informer`s post and the photo of two scantly-clad girls in bed quickly became a hit before they were removed from iyaxin.Com, one of the largest Internet portals in Xinjiang.
The post also claims that Qi rent a high-end apartment unit for the sisters in downtown Wusu and reimbursed the rent as an official expense.
An official with Tacheng prefecture committee said "part of the online allegations" were true but many claims and details "remain unverified."
But the official did not elaborate on what allegations had been verified.
Qi assumed the police chief post in June last year.
He is the latest to fall in China`s sweeping "cyber- anti-corruption" drive that has notably been gathering steam since the 18th National Congress of the CPC held in November.
A handful of officials have been removed from their posts for being caught in sex tape shots, keeping mistresses, and owning large number of properties.
All the allegations were exposed on the Internet and the authorities responded with serious probes in relatively short time -- in one case, the sacking came in some 60 hours after the Internet post first appeared.
Experts hope that active participation of the Internet users may push China`s anti-corruption drive to a new stage.
Hu Jintao warned at the CPC congress that corruption could lead to the collapse of the Party and the fall of the state.
Xi Jinping, who took over Hu as the general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, named corruption on top of the many pressing problems within the Party that need to be resolved in his first speech after being elected to the top post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015