Seoul: Aides to the youngest son and heir apparent of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il planned an attack last year on Kim`s oldest son but were warned off by China, a report said Wednesday.
South Korea`s Chosun Ilbo newspaper, citing a government source, said close aides of youngest son Jong-Un plotted an attack on Jong-Nam after the leader had picked Jong-Un as heir apparent in January 2009.
Jong-Nam has been living mainly in Beijing and the Chinese territory of Macau since falling out of favour with his father.
In an frank interview with Japan`s TV Asahi broadcast Tuesday, he expressed opposition to another hereditary power transfer in the communist state.
Chosun quoted its source as saying Jong-Un`s aides last year tried "to do something to Kim Jong-Nam, who has a loose tongue abroad" but China apparently warned them not to lay a hand on him on Chinese soil.
The paper said Jong-Nam reportedly has close ties with China`s powerful "princelings", an elite group of the children of senior officials.
"Kim Jong-Nam won`t go back to the North but stay in China," the source added.
South Korea`s intelligence agency declined comment on the newspaper report.