China says `difficulties` with Norway persist
Beijing: China on Friday said its relations with
Norway remained "difficult", a year after it downgraded
relations with Oslo in response to the award of the Nobel
Peace Prize to jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo.
"The difficulties between China and Norway are because
the Norwegian government made the wrong decision when the
Nobel Peace Committee gave the award to Liu Xiaobo," Chinese
foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said.
"We hope the Norwegian side will make practical efforts
to resume the development of the bilateral relationship," he
His remarks came as five Nobel Peace Prize winners
launched a campaign to free Liu, saying they feared Beijing
was silencing his family and friends and the world would
forget his plight.
Liu, the first Chinese citizen to win the Peace Prize,
was sentenced to 11 years behind bars in 2009 after authoring
Charter 08, a manifesto signed by thousands seeking greater
rights in the communist nation.
The decision to award him the Nobel infuriated Beijing,
which suspended talks with Oslo on a free trade pact and
ordered strict and time-consuming veterinary controls on
The five members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, who
pick the Peace Prize laureate, are appointed by Norway`s
parliament, but are independent of the government and the
Hong, who made the comments ahead of tomorrow`s ceremony
for the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize, did not elaborate on what
measures Norway could take to restore ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'