China says new jet not copied from US
Beijing: China has rejected reports that its new aircraft carrier-borne fighter jet J-15 was copied from US technology.
Defence ministry spokesman Geng Yansheng said China had stuck to independent innovation and had the capacity to build and develop its own aircraft carrier.
"The assertion that China copied a foreign country`s aircraft carrier technology is unprofessional, if not an intentional attack," he was quoted as saying by the Global Times Friday.
China successfully conducted its first landing of a J-15 on its aircraft carrier, Liaoning, Nov 24.
The spokesman said a "very transparent attitude was taken amid the landing exercises", and that China released the news in a timely manner.
China wants to become a maritime power to enhance its capacity to exploit marine resources, develop marine economy, safeguard the country`s maritime rights and interests, and ensure a sustainable economic and social development, Geng said.
"China`s stance of safeguarding the country`s legitimate sovereign rights and interests should not be regarded as a hardline approach."
The J-15 has a range of about 3,000 km without refuelling and strong sea-air combat capability. It can carry multiple types of long-range anti-ship and air-to-air missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room