China to allow tourists in A-bomb test site
Beijing: China will be giving access to the public to a deserted nuclear experiment site where scientists developed the country`s first atomic bomb in 1964.
About CNY six million (around USD 945,000) will be invested to turn the Malan base in the Xinjiang Uygur region into a tourism site, Xinhua reported.
Labs and dormitories used by the nuclear scientists, and a 300-metre anti-air strike tunnel, will be shown, an official said.
China detonated its first atomic bomb in the desert near Malan on October 16, 1964.
The country, however, has never used an atomic bomb in an attack. The government says it has suspended nuclear weapon programmes since 1996 and is committed to advancing global nuclear disarmament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets